This fusion of poultry and pork, with a vegetable herb stuffing, is a great way to build flavour from the inside out.
INGREDIENTS Serves 4
3 portobello mushroom caps, rinsed and stems removed
1 onion, sliced 1/2" thick
3-4 tablespoons olive oil
coarse salt to taste
ground pepper to taste
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
250 grams goat cheese
12-16 smoked bacon strips, 3-4 per breast
12-16 wooden toothpicks, soaked in water for 20 minutes
- Preheat the grill to medium high, ensuring the grates are clean and well-oiled.
- Put the Portobello mushrooms and onions in a large mixing bowl and drizzle with olive oil.
- Add the minced garlic to the mushrooms and onions, seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Toss to coat evenly.
- Lay the seasoned mushrooms, stem-side up, and onions on the grill. Grill mushrooms and onions four to six minutes per side.
- Remove both from the grill, chop roughly and splash with balsamic vinegar. Set aside to cool completely.
- Cut into the side of the chicken, creating a deep pocket inside the breast, with caution to not pierce through or butterfly the meat.
- Gently, but liberally, stuff the chicken with cheese, followed by grilled veggies.
- Lay three to four bacon strips per breast on a cutting board, one next to another with no spaces.
HOT TIP: You may want to render the fat from bacon in advance of grilling to decrease the likelihood of flare-ups and burned chicken. Simply fry the bacon on the stove until it renders its grease but while it’s still pliable enough to wrap around the chicken.
- Place the stuffed breasts over the bacon strips, tightly rolling and wrapping the chicken.
- Insert water-soaked toothpicks through the bacon, securing the wrapping.
- Grill for 15-20 minutes over indirect heat, rotating every 5-7 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp and the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
- Pull the chicken from the grill, set on a cutting board, tent with foil and allow to rest for three to five minutes.
- Plate, serve and enjoy!