Asparagus is healthy, delicious and most of all, versatile. The edible shoots of asparagus can be fried, boiled, baked, sauteed, roasted or steamed. But the best way to cook asparagus is on the grill. With just a few simple ingredients, you can grill asparagus that will leave you more than happy to finish your veggies.Asparagus is sometimes grilled in a lot of sauces, cheeses and butter. But the above recipe is one that is simple and healthy while allowing all the natural flavours of the asparagus to come through. It’s one of the best ways to grill asparagus and pairs well with just about any type of meat.
450 grams asparagus, ends removed
4 tablespoons olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 lemon, juiced
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Place your asparagus in a mixing bowl along with the olive oil and a dash of lemon juice and generously coat all sides of the asparagus.
- Remove the asparagus and sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
- Grill your asparagus horizontal to your grill lines for 5-6 minutes. Once every minute, use a pair of tongs to rotate each spear 1/4 turn. Allow the asparagus to brown but not char.
- Remove from grill and serve immediately.
These are a heavy lifter when it comes to providing a nutritional boost. Asparagus are a good source of these essential nutrients: folic acid, potassium, fiber, thiamin and vitamins A, B6 and C.