Bacon is an ultimate barbecue side dish. It is bonus ingredient that puts everything over the top, like potato salad. Try this recipe below for an elevated version of the classic potato salad. We've grilled the potatoes, kept the dressing light and of course topped with bacon.
250 grams bacon, cooked until crispy and chopped
1 kg small red or yellow potatoes
3/4 cup olive oil, divided
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/2 green pepper, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
1 small handful fresh parsley, stems removed and coarsely chopped
- Par-cook the potatoes for 3 minutes in a large pot of boiling water. Strain and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, preheat your grill for medium high heat.
- When cool enough to safely handle, slice the potatoes in half. Place them in a large bowl and splash with ¼ cup olive oil and a pinch of salt. Toss to coat.
- With tongs, carefully arrange the potatoes over the grill, cut side down. Grill 4 to 5 minutes for great grill mark, flip and finish off another 3 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from grill and place in a large, clean bowl.
- Whisk the Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, and maple syrup with the remaining ½ cup olive oil. Toss the Dijon vinaigrette over the potatoes with the green pepper, red onion, and parsley. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Lastly, fold in the cooked bacon, sprinkling a hefty portion on top to lure in anyone eyeing up this new twist on potato salad.